Our professional plumbers are pleased to share several things you can do around your home to help reduce how much water you use and lower your bill at the same time. Some of these things can also help reduce your gas and electric bills.
- Install Dual Flush Toilet Handles: These handles allow you to select between low water and normal flush cycles.
- Install a Low-Flow Toilet: A low-flow toilet uses less water than a normal toilet.
- Place a Bottle of Sand/Water in the Toilet: You can save even more water by placing a bottle filled with either sand or water in the toilet tank. This displaces the water, so you will use even less water during each flush cycle.
- Get Low-Flow Faucets/Fixtures: Low-flow faucets and fixtures use less water without a reduction in water pressure.
- Only Run the Dishwasher When Full: Wait until the dishwasher is full before running a cycle.
- Do Not Do Dishes By Hand: Handwashing dishes wastes more water than using your dishwasher. The only time you should be washing by hand is if the item says it is not dishwasher safe or you do not have a dishwasher.
- Only Do Full Loads of Laundry: You use less water and save electricity by running full loads of laundry.
- Cut Down on Laundry by Wearing Clothes Longer: Jeans, hoodies, and other types of outerwear usually does not get that dirty after wearing them once. It is okay to wear these items a few times before washing them. Not only will you have less laundry to do, but you will also save on water and electricity.
- Get Water-Saving and Energy-Efficient Appliances: Upgrading to a new dishwasher or washing machine can help reduce water usage and electricity usage. New appliances use a fraction of the water and electricity compared to appliances that are five years old or older.
- Upgrade to a Tankless Hot Water Heater: Switch out your hot water heater for a tankless model. Tankless water heaters provide hot water “on-demand” when you need it. Since there is no water stored in a tank, you save the energy heating costs to maintain constant temperatures.
- Repair Water Leaks: If you notice water leaks under sinks, around toilets, tubs, showers, or in the basement or crawlspace, get these fixed. If you ignore them, they will not go away and will only get worse and create even more damage to your home.
- Repair Dripping Faucets and Fixtures: Dripping faucets and fixtures are a big water waster that can quickly increase your water bill and energy bills.
By taking the time to reduce your water usage, not only are you helping conserve water for the future, but also reducing your water and energy bills.
For help in fixing water leaks, dripping faucets, or installing toilets, appliances, and other plumbing upgrades, please feel free to contact A+ Services at 360-491-2900 today! Our plumbing repair service serves the Olympia area as well as Thurston, Pierce, Lewis and Mason counties.