In recent years, many homeowners are taking on a wide range of DIY projects. This is partly the result of various home improvement shows that teach homeowners how easy it can be to paint a room, install hardwood flooring, build a deck, and so on. As a result, this can lead homeowners into thinking they can easily take on electrical repairs and improvements around their own home.
After all, how hard can it be to run some wires and connect them together? DIY homeowners might attempt to install an electrical outlet, light switch, or new overhead lighting. It cannot be that hard to swap out an old outlet, switch, or light for a new one, right?
While it might seem like a simple job for the homeowner, far too often it results in creating bigger problems. The homeowner might not realize the new outlet, switch, or light they are installing has a specific voltage and/or amp ratings. Their current electrical wiring may not be up to date to handle it or be too high.
Then what happens are all sorts of electrical problems, from minor shocks to sparking, and even electrical fires. Now, the homeowner not only has to get a licensed electrician to fix these added problems but also install the outlet, switch, or light they initially wanted.
(H2) Five Reasons Why Electrical Work Is Not a DIY Project
Working with electricity is dangerous. If you attempt to do your own electrical repairs, upgrades, and other work around your home, it can be very risky. Some of the risks you are exposing yourself include:
- Injury from Electrical Shocks: DIYers have higher risks of injury and even deaths from electrical shocks when attempting to do their own electrical work. One of the biggest reasons DIYers get injured is because they forget to verify the electricity has been shut off, which sometimes requires more than flipping a breaker switch.
- Increased Risks of Property Damages: If you accidentally short-circuit wires together, you could overload appliances, TVs, and other electronics plugged into outlets. In some cases, short-circuits could generate enough heat that will cause the wiring in the walls to fuse together and the protective insulation coatings to melt away.
- Increased Risks of Electrical Fires: If the work was not done correctly and up to current building codes, there are increased risks of electrical fires. Electrical fires can start and burn for hours, days, or even weeks before they finally burn the house down.
- Cancellation of Your Homeowner’s Insurance: Insurance companies require electrical work to be completed by a qualified electrician. In the event you do the work yourself and cause extensive damages to your home, your insurance company could refuse to pay for damages and even cancel your policy.
- Inability to Sell Your Home: You will need to provide certifications for any electrical projects and renovations you had completed. If you cannot provide these, you cannot sell your home. Most electricians will not certify your work and will require that you have them perform the same work you did to have it certified.
As you can see, DIY electrical work can be very dangerous, not to mention a waste of your money and time. For all types of residential electrical services in the Olympia and Puget Sound areas, please feel free to contact A+ Services at 360-491-1400 today!