Skip to Content
chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up chevron-right chevron-left arrow-back star phone quote checkbox-checked search wrench info shield play connection mobile coin-dollar spoon-knife ticket pushpin location gift fire feed bubbles home heart calendar price-tag credit-card clock envelop facebook instagram twitter youtube pinterest yelp google reddit linkedin envelope bbb pinterest homeadvisor angies

Diagnosing and troubleshooting electrical problems within your home can be difficult for the average DIY homeowner. Working with electricity can be dangerous and requires the proper precautions to prevent electrocution or starting electrical fires. In some cases, certain problems will require seeking help immediately with a call to a qualified emergency electrical repair company.

If you notice any of the following, you may require emergency service:

Fire in a dual-socket US type

  • Strange Burning Smells: When electrical wires get too hot, they can melt the plastic insulation. If you smell burning plastic or a “hot metal” burnt smell, there could be a serious problem with your wiring. If possible, shut off the breakers from where the smells are emanating and call 911 to have the fire department check for an electrical fire. Do not use any outlets until the problem has been resolved.
  • Smoke or Sparks Coming from Outlets: If you see smoke or sparks come out of an outlet while something is plugged into it, this is very dangerous. Turn off the breaker and call 911 to have the fire department to check for an electrical fire. Once the home is safe, call an electrician for repair service.
  • Burn Marks on Outlets: The sign of brown or dark-colored burn marks on outlets means there is a problem. Shut off the breaker to the outlet, unplug anything in the outlet, and call for service.

handsome electrician holding cable

  • Electrical Cords to Devices Very Hot: If the electrical cords plugged into an outlet are too hot to touch, it means there is an electrical problem. Shut off the device and the breaker, then unplug it. Do not use the outlet until it is fixed.
  • Flooded Basement: If your basement gets flooded and electrical outlets, appliances, or other devices with electrical wiring are under water, do not enter the area. You need to shut off the breakers in the basement if possible. If your breaker box is in the basement, call the electric company to have the electricity to the home temporarily shut off, and then call an electrician.

Aside from these emergency situations, there can be other electrical problems within the home that can require the assistance of an electrician to fix correctly and safely. These include:

  • A breaker or fuse keeps blowing. This means the circuit is overloaded and too much power is passing through the breaker or fuse. You may need to have the breaker or fuse modified to handle the electrical load or have more outlets installed if one outlet is overloaded.
  • There is a humming or buzzing sound coming from the breaker or fuse box. If you hear this sound, it could mean the wiring that is connected to the breaker or fuse plug is loose. It can also mean the breaker or fuse plug is defective and needs to be replaced.

When dealing with a potential emergency or another type of electrical problem, do not delay seeking help. For emergency and regular electrical repair services in the Olympia area, please feel free to contact A+ Services at 360-491-2900 today!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *